Friday, February 17, 2012

Beethoven, Eat Your Heart Out

It’s difficult not to overthink what to share as a first blog. Especially when this feels vastly overdue and there seems to be an endless list of things I’d love to express in writing.  But I will begin by sharing why I decided to name my blog Ode to Joy.


An ode is defined as: a lyric poem typically of elaborate or irregular metrical form and expressive of exalted or enthusiastic emotion.

And joy is defined as: The emotion of great delight or happiness caused by something exceptionally good or satisfying.


Ten years ago, I met Someone who became for me the greatest Delight and Happiness. He was and is exceptionally good and satisfying. My heart was made new. For the first time I felt, and since then have known, a deep, unshakable joy. And my desire is that you would feel that joy in every post, in every paragraph.

His name is Jesus.

He is both my journey and my destination. He is the reason I breathe. The reason I live each day. The reason I work and sing and cry and laugh. And if He decided otherwise, I would cease to breathe and He would owe me no explanations. He is God. And He is worthy of every bit of everything that I am and do. In this, my heart overflows with a joy that no one can take away.

This is not just my story. This is my song. I hope to continually write in elaborate or irregular metrical (or musical) form.  Yes, it will begin as a thought from my mind. Or perhaps a feeling from my heart. But each entry should lead to express the song in my soul with exalted or enthusiastic emotion.

There are passages of Scripture that together make up the anthem of my life. One of them has always been Psalms 37:4.

Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart.

God has been very sneaky with this truth. He doesn’t directly mention that as I delight in Him, my desires change.  And He doesn’t mention that as He becomes my joy, I enjoy what He enjoys and ultimately ask for things that bring Him joy and fill me and others with joy as well. J I’ve asked for many things—simple and complex. And one after another He has granted “my” desire, bringing me closer to His heart along the way. Again, He is both my journey and my destination; both my story and my song. I can say that my life has been beautifully orchestrated by the One to whom sings my soul.  

So let this be an ode to joy. An ode to a wonderfully arranged, beautifully orchestrated, unfathomable life of joy. 

1 comment:

  1. Abby ~ I'm so inspired by this post, and THRILLED about reading more of your journey of joy with Jesus! I love you and your heart for HIM. You spur me on to walk in faith and pour myself out unto Christ. Thank you.

    Yes, He would owe us no explanations. And yes, Psalm 37!!! One of my faves, too! ☺

    ReplyDelete